Out of Africa (and Canada) (Originally Posted Jan 18, 2007)

Thursday, February 05, 2009 / Posted by Bodhi /

Hey all... Just another update to my life, few and far between though they are lately. The short and small of it is that I'm now back resident here in my newly adopted homeland of Africa, South Africa to be exact, after having flown halfway round the world to Canada for Christmas and back.

I wrapped up work here on Dec 15th with plans to head back to England to do the last week of work there before flying on to Toronto to see the family. But plans went astray and I decided to take a much needed break to just take in the crazy nightlife scene of Joburg, or JOZI as the locals like to call it.

After that was Christmas back in TO, and then home with the fam. Nice to be back on my home turf, and the holidays were an amazing break from it all. Couldn't have been better. But two weeks is never enough, and although The bro only had a week and a half, it was still tough getting back on the plane. But not so tough this time since I wasn't flying back to winter in Ol' Blighty, or England as they call it, but rather onwards to middle of the African summer. I swear, it was a pretty big shock to the system after leaving Canada (which really wasn't cold at all), and England which was as wet and overcast as usual, and walking out of Or Tambo airport in Jozi into 33 degree, blinding summer.

The cab ride from the airport to my new place was a culture shock all over again. But it's funny how quick a place can start to feel like home, cause it's so familiar here now. But such is life. When I step off the plane in Toronto I feel like a big weight has been lifted and I'm actually back home again. But I get a similar, but very different feeling when stepping out of Don Mang airport in Thailand, like I'm finally back home again in a strange way. And even Heathrow stepping on to the Paddington Express I feel like it's a homecoming and a strangely comforting arrival. I was surprised to get that in some small way landing back in Joburg, but this place is a unique and amazing place. Now of course it's also affectionately known as the 'Murder Capital of the World'. But hey, you can't have it all. In the end you can't really beat good ol' Canada. Amazing country, clean, beautiful, safe, and home. Nothing wrong with having a couple homes though.

Bodhi

0 comments:

Post a Comment