Kuwait (Originally Posted Nov 30, 2008)

Thursday, February 05, 2009 / Posted by Bodhi /

So my month in beautiful, boring Kuwait has now come to an end. About Kuwait, I'll say one thing. It's one of those places where you would rightfully never, in your right mind, actually go to just for the sake of going. Like who, one day, wakes up and decides that for my next vacation I think I"ll go to Kuwait. My South African client said it best when I said the one thing Kuwait lacked was sights for the tourists to go see. And he looked at me and asked, "What tourists?". And yeah. True enough. I don't think in my entire month there I actually saw anyone that might be classed as a tourist. Everyone there is either there because they are Kuwaiti, or because they are there to make money. Like me.



But still. I can proudly claim I've lived in Kuwait, add it up to my long list of countries that I've visited or lived in. Just checking, I'm now up to 24 countries at last count, Kuwait being no. 24. Or exactly 15% of the world. Funny, seems more than that. 15% doesn't seem like very much, especially since I've been living out of hotel rooms for the past six plus years. My goal, remote as it may be, is to make 100%. Only 85% to go. Gotta get this work thing over with so I can hop on my motorbike and cross em' off in quick succession. Doing it this way, one country, one month a time with work is gonna take forever.




So I finished up work at my client on Thursday (Friday and Saturday is the weekend over here. Strange but you get used to it). And flew back home to Abu Dhabi on Saturday, after a small hitch at the airport on Friday. So back home now, and back into work again today. But it's December, and them Arabs love their holidays. So Tuesday is UAE National Day, and a day off work (they have the biggest fireworks show in history to date planned for that night, of course planned to be bigger than the last biggest fireworks show of all time that happened last week in Dubai for the opening of the Atlantis Hotel, and was all over the news. This was, in true Abu Dhabi style, is going to be even bigger). Then next week is Eid holiday (no. 2 since I've been here) so pretty much the entire week is off. Then third week I'm back in Kuwait for a week, then back here for the Christmas holidays and the parents are flying in to visit. So gonna be a busy December, but with lot's of holidays.




So here are a few pics I took around Kuwait. Like I said, it's a really beautiful city on the sea-side. The actual city leaves a lot to be desired, but what else can you expect from a city built on the edge of the sea in the desert.

Bodhi

0 comments:

Post a Comment