Fujairah, East Coast, UAE & Musandam, Oman

Saturday, June 20, 2009 / Posted by Bodhi /

So it's been more than a while since I last posted an entry here. When I first started reading all the other blogs around, and got excited to try and resuscitate my old travel blog that I've been keeping off and on for five plus years now. Except that my travel blog was exactly that, a blog based on my travels, or at least using my travels as a means to relate the new places I saw and the new experiences I encountered. This other kind of blogging that has sprung up, which essentially the blog becomes the end in itself, where you develop an audience and feel compelled to continue generating subject matter or content to keep that audience entertained. And this is a whole other thing from blogging for yourself as a means to document your life, a diary per say, a kind of public diary. But in the end, still mostly for yourself than for others.

So my lackluster attempt to convert my travel blog into a mainstream blog king of hit a snag after the first few posts. For a few reasons I guess. One, I only tend to blog when something interesting happens. And two, which is somehow related to one, I'm not traveling at the moment. So not much interesting has been happening. I could write about how my usual weekend sees me waking up early with my cup of coffee and spending the morning reading my list of favourite blogs. But who wants to blog about reading blogs? Or maybe how it's so hot outside now that summer has hit the Gulf region, that I've somehow sadly found myself morphed into that most pathetic and lowly of creatures known as a "mallwalker". Hey, when it's 45 degrees outside and you need exercise, there's not a lot of other options. Sure I would rather be hiking up a mountain somewhere, or running along a beach. But instead I power walk through Ikea and Carrefour, and try to avoid eye contact with the mall walkers club members. At least I didn't join the club. I still have my dignity.

So what's changed that's made me want to post once again after two plus months hiatus. What else. I travelled. Not far mind you. Not even out of the country. Just across the UAE to the East Coast, to a little seaside town called Fujairah. It's only about a four hour drive from Abu Dhabi, but it's a world away from the hustle and bustle of the capital, and Dubai. It's a tiny little place, with not a lot of white faces. Which woudn't normally make for much of a trip. But the thing this place has going for it is the beaches. The beaches here are amazing, and completely empty. Dubai is full of European sun seekers crowding the beaches. Here you have the Indians who flood the beach every Friday afternoon, but the local Emirates don't like the sun or the beach, so they're deserted the rest of the time. Except for me. And my little beach chair.

Friday I was planning on going scuba diving out to Musandam, Oman. So I woke up early and hit the road. But I kinda got lost, and couldn't find the dive shop, so by the time I found where I was going, the boat was already gone. So instead of diving, I just headed on down the road towards Oman.




I decided that I had to at least do Oman one time, at least to say I've been there and add it to the list of countries I've frequented. So I went in search of Oman, and funny enough didn't even realize I had found it until I was already far into it.




Stupid me, I assumed that you need to show your passport to pass from one country to the next. Apparently this basic rule of travel is disregarded when it comes to the UAE and Oman. I guess they must be on exceedingly good terms, since all you have to do is wave at the guy in the booth as your driving by and that suffices for a border check. Strange. So it wasn't until I started noticing banks with the word Oman in it, that I realized that indeed I was in Oman, and that it was pretty much anti-climactic.




So I continued on, and tried to follow a highway up through the mountains, but after the first awe inspiring mountain pass, the ash fault abruptly ended and it was dirt road after that. And since my Toyota Yaris hatchback is the antithesis of a four by four, I turned back as well.



So other than seeing a few goats, and a few more mountains, I'd say that Oman is a whole lot like the UAE, just about 15 or so years in the past. So I headed back my hotel in Fujairah for a quiet night in.



But stopped on the way home to take some pictures of a boat and some dead fish.




This morning I was again up bright and early, and after doing domestic stuff I headed over to Khor Fakan to chill out on their stunning beach in my new favourite spot under my new favourite tree. Again, the beach was all to myself. So I made the most of it, with my new favourite book. The Glass Palace, by Amitav Ghosh. Amazing book. It's a story set in Burma, when the British invaded, and follows the Burmese royal family which is moved by the British to India, and how their lives turn out throughout India, Burma and Malaysia, during the rise and fall of the British Empire. Amazing story, and it's great to get a sense of the history of the countries surrounding Thailand, which I haven't had any experience before. Anyways, good book to pass the afternoon on the beach.






So I'm here in Fujairah until Tuesday, when I head back to Abu Dhabi to get packed up, as I'm heading home for my summer holiday on Wednesday night. Three weeks off, and only a few more days to go. Man this coming work week is gonna go so slow.

6 comments:

Comment by Malcolm and Ciejay Burgess on 21 June 2009 at 19:36

BB, welcome to the club ,yes we do seem to love to post for our little group of friends, (Expats mostly) here in LOS and enjoy commenting back and forth , but a couple of the guys are read worldwide and have quite a following also.I blog for the enjoyment of it, and as a way to stay in touch with other expats .
Great travel pictures and looks like a lot of wide open nothing , the beach, tree and chair looked inviting tho, and you lost me with the pic of the dead fish , please explain why they were just out there in piles . malcolm

Comment by Bodhi on 21 June 2009 at 23:30

Hey Malcolm, funny thing is, it's usually the ones who are writing for themselves that `I find the most entertaining. Take yourself for example. I find your posts the most refreshing of them all, and your sense of humour has gotten me more than a few chuckles on days at work where I badly needed a smile. And if that wasn't enough, you've convinced me to take a side trip on my bike out to Kanchanburi area since your stories and pictures have got me intrigued to check the area out. I might have to take a swing through Wang Pho on the way up to Sanklaburi.

Yeah, the UAE and Oman is a whole wide lot of dirt and space. Not my cup of tea, but you make the most of what you got. The views are fantastic and the beaches are incredible. Now if it only wasnt 48 degrees outside today, it might almost be livable. So when you guys complain about it being hot back there in Thailand, give a thought to me melting in 50 degree heat. :)

As for the fish, you got me. I just had to pull over and snap a pic because it was so odd. Definitely not something I would eat after they were done and dried to a crisp.

Bodhi

Lloyd on 24 June 2009 at 12:08

Blogging for me went from somewhere to share my thoughts with a few friends to somewhere I felt compelled to write something, good or bad, so I decided to "Call it a day". I am tempted to delete the current content and continue it as a travel/foodie/lifestyle blog, will see.

Hey think about us unemployed software developers suffering in with the first real English summer for a decade, a whopping 26c yesterday, and todays looking like more of the same ;-)

Comment by Martyn on 27 June 2009 at 20:20

Nice to see you back banging on the keyboards. The photos of Oman do appear to make it look rather bleak although the border post regulations are a refreshing change. I will look forward to your holiday posts and I'm sure you will bring back a few memories and photos to blog about on your return. have a good trip.

Comment by Ben Shingleton on 16 July 2009 at 05:09

Nice post, interesting to see photos of the local view, I always get the 'birds eye' view as we fly over on the way to Thailand. The mountain ranges on the desert landscapes look amazing from above. Funny about the border checks! Looks like the Thai's are not the only ones with a 'mai pen arai' attitude ....

Comment by Phone Sex on 18 June 2011 at 06:08

Amazing sharing you have done thank you for it.

Post a Comment